Chiropody & Podiatric Biomechanics
Click any of the headings below for more information.
Please note: chiropody patients do not require GP referral.
- Foot health assessments - This is evaluation/advice not treatment
- Callus reduction
- Toe nail cutting
- Skin and fungal treatments
- Reduction of ingrowing toe nails
- Corn removal
- Verruca treatment
- Diabetic patients accepted (please note we do not treat ulcers)
- Advice on any conditions relating to the feet
Feet can cause us real pain and we may not even know it!
We only have one pair of feet and they take us everywhere. So it's a good idea to take care of them.
But most of us do not give our feet a second thought… That is until they hurt
Once our feet are hurting most of us have no idea how to eliminate the pain. Untreated this can lead to long term problems. Many foot problems are the result of a faulty relationship between the bones and the muscle of the foot.
Misalignment can result in a number of problems, commonly flat feet, over pronunciation, persistent ankle sprains, bunions, corns, calluses… even symptoms that one would not normally associate with feet, such as stress and pain in the back, neck, hip and knees.
If there is a problem with our feet it could cause stress and pain elsewhere.
Conditions that can be treated:
- Bone - Bunions, Hammmertoes, Flat Feet (Pes Planus), Dropped Metatarsals
- Soft tissue - Ganglion and Cysts, Foreign Body, Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, Tendon problems
- Heel - Heel Spurs, Plantar Faciitis, Haglund's, Sever's Disease
- Sports - Tendonitis, Bursitis, Ankle Injuries, Gait Analysis, Knee Injuries
- Medical Screening - Gout, Circulation problems, Neuropath, Reynaud's disease
- Lumbar/sacral/hip pain - Assessment relating to hip and back pain which is often as a result of gait problems or limb length discrepency
- Children - Growth related disorders, Evaluation of wellbeing in children
- Ultrasound - notification and booking necessary
- Referrals - to physiotherapy, laser treatment, and orthopaedic surgery.
So what are Orthotics?
Orthotics, whilst they may look similar to ‘arch supports’ are special footwear inserts that are individually designed and manufactured to ease your pain and discomfort. From the specifications given by your practitioner, we make the orthotics to reposition the foot structure to achieve this optimum skeletal balance thereby reducing the stress and pain on the joints that are causing the discomfort.
Using a special lightweight and durable polymer composite material that has the unique ability to ‘flex’, but unlike traditional materials, always return to its set shape. It also has a greater in-built strength that allows our laboratory to use a thinner shell thus taking less room in your shoes. You may have a similar foot size and problem to someone else but that does not mean the same orthotics would fit comfortably or be of benefit to them.
How do Orthotics work?
As your foot sits comfortably on the orthotic it is gently and consistently directed into the optimum position allowing the foot to function correctly when walking, running and standing.
With the help of your practitioner and a pair of orthotics, pressure points, improper rotation of the feet and painful muscle strain are eliminated, because your feet are functioning optimally.
We make individual orthotics to fit into your shoes, in fact once you start wearing then you'll find them so comfortable that you will wonder how you ever managed without them for so long!
Orthotics… How long will I have to wear them?
There is really no answer to this question. You see, orthotics do not cure your foot problem. They work on the same principle as glasses… an optician may prescribe glasses for you, but they will not cure your vision problems. Instead orthotics simply modify the function of your foot as you continue to wear them. In other words, you will need to wear orthotics as long as you want to avoid discomfort.
Remember your feet are the foundation for your entire body
Obtaining and consistently wearing orthotics can be the best investment you could make in your overall well-being.
Initial Assessment & Treatment (30-minutes) - £33
Follow-up Treatments (30-minutes) - £32
Initial Assessment (1-hour) - £130
Follow-up Sessions (30-minutes) - £60
Please enquire about pricing.